Monday, February 19, 2018

Be kind to service animals



My name is Fred.  I am a service dog.  I asked my human friend to write this for me because English is my second language and I have problems holding a pencil.  My owner has been getting in a lot of trouble when he goes into places because of me and I want to speak on the subject.

First of all, a service animal is not a pet.  Many animals do different things for people with disabilities.  For the purpose of this letter, I will talk about what I know best:   dogs.  I am a working animal.  Since this is ranch country, you understand working dogs - they work your livestock.

Unlike a ranch dog, though, my job is constant, 24/7.  I take care of my owner and make sure he is safe.  My real title is "seizure dog" because I sense when my owner is getting ready to have a seizure and I try to get him to soft ground.  When he falls, I am right there to catch him and watch over him until he is OK again.


Because of me, my owner has freedoms he would not otherwise have.  When I am not with him, he gets lost.  I give him a sense of confidence that he does not have when I am not around.

I am telling you these things, but I do not have to.  You see, service animals are protected under the American Disabilities Act of 1990.  (This federal law applies to all businesses open to the public.)  

  • A store owner may ask if I am a service animal or what tasks I perform, but that is all.  
  • A store owner cannot legally question why I am there; they cannot throw me out.  
  • You cannot ask my owner about his disability, you cannot question why he has me.  
  • For sure, do not call me a pet!  

I am not required to carry identification or wear a vest, but my owner has ID and certification cards for me. 
I am an officially-certified service dog.

I have noticed that people need to be friendlier to people with disabilities.  Their life is not easy, and if they are independent in their day-to-day activities, then we should be applauding them.
The problem I have is that people use “service dog” as an excuse to bring their animal into stores and restaurants.  Because of the way the law is written - that you cannot legally ask - people will dress up their dog, put a vest on them, and call them a service dog.  This is not right and causes me the most problems.
The #1 rule to follow when you are around service animals: 


Never pet them without asking first.  

I am a friendly guy, and that is the way we are supposed to be, but please respect my space.  We are dogs first, and we are our owner’s best friend, but I am very protective of  my owner’s medical well-being’ because, after all, I am not a pet.

I am a working dog.  
There are places that train service animals and it is a long and expensive process to match up owner and animal.  If you are thinking about getting an animal for your loved one, that is the best way to do it.  Then you know you are getting the animal that fits your needs.
Questions?  Call the American with Disabilities Hotline at 800-514-0301 or go to www.ada.gov.

Thank you for your time in reading this, and thanks to my human friend for writing this letter.  I ask it to be signed:

Fred’s Friend

www.cwpickett.com






No comments:

Post a Comment